Sunday, November 16, 2008

"God, You call that a Blessing?!"

The catch phrase of the day seems to be: "Lord, bless me!" I've heard the phrase countless times in church and from christians. If not, "Lord, bless ME" then "the Lord bless YOU!" or how about this one: "God wants to and is going to bless you".

Nothing wrong with the phrase. What's wrong is our definition of a "blessing". Often we define a blessing as favor from God in the form of benefits such as added finances, health, feelings, or anything that provides greater comfort and ease to our lives. I'm not denying that God does bestow these "blessings" upon us. However, let's look at a portion of Scripture that gives us great insight into God's blessing.

In Genesis 32, we find the story of Jacob. Jacob is facing a major decision, in fact, confrontation the next day and he seeks God's help in prayer. He even asks for the Lord to bless him. The answer to his desperate prayer comes in an unusual form. God wrestles with Jacob! Our toughest battles are often not with the devil, but with God. It's often easier to say no to the devil than to say yes to God!

Jacob perceived a problem with his brother Esau. He perceived correctly; a relationship problem. But he got the relationship wrong. It was not a relationship problem between Jacob and Esau. It was a relationship problem between Jacob and God. Jacob prays to God for help and it seems to get worse!

God is on a mission to change us because He loves us too much to leave us as we are. The church in North America has a "comfort" problem. Let's make the church "seeker-friendly". Make sure churches are "comfortable", "enjoyable", a "place of refuge". If we are to bring the Gospel message to the world, it won't be with a "comfort theology". If that be the case, at the first sign of adversity, the new christian will be devastated.

Wait a minute, Ray, are you saying that God does not bless His children? Oh yes, God blesses! And God IS a God of prosperity (more than enough). However, what is your definition of "blessing"? Are you prepared for the "manifestation" of that blessing? How it's packaged?

"My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives. If you endure chastening, God deals with you as sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have been partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons." Hebrews 12:5-8

Genesis 32:24 says that "Jacob was left alone and there wrestled with a man". I used to think that the most powerful moments in my walk with God were those exciting church services surrounded by people, music, singing, with a prolific orator delivering eloquently and exergenically the wonderful Word of God with dazzling clarity. Those times ARE good! But I've found that when God really gets ready to work me over, He takes me out of the crowd by myself so He can deal with me without me pretending. Nobody left to impress. Nobody around to appear "religious" for. Alone. It doesn't matter who I am in a crowd. What matters is who I am when I am alone. God won't deal with my name, reputation, degrees, or money. He wants to deal with that part of me that no one sees so He'll put me in isolation to give me revelation. I thank God for that; for giving me privacy while He chastens me.

In verse 25 of Genesis 32, the day is breaking so the Theophonic manifestation of God has to change the nature of the struggle. He touches Jacob at the hip-joint. Note that this was not just a bad hair day or a stubbed toe. It was something that knocked the props out from under him. Note also that it was God that did it. You may have been through so much that you've finally reached the point where you are now saying, "God, I can't fight You any longer; I need You!" Now, He's no longer wrestling with you but He's holding you up. You've been brought to a place a total surrender and trust. And you'll never arrive at that place until you limp.

I don't rely on or place my trust in men who don't limp. The person that is too confident in their own abilities, giftings, or strengths. The greatest people of God are those who somewhere in their life have had a limp.

Do you want to draw near to God and to really know Him? Be prepared for the manner in which He shows up! Genesis 32:29b says that "He blessed him there". "God, you call that a blessing?!" Yes! When you really have an encounter with God, you will walk differently and look differently. Think about it. In verse 31, Jacob crossed over the brook to meet with his family and he was a mess! He's limping down the road, dirty, beat up and perhaps Rachel says to him, "What happened to you? Did you get robbed or beat up by thugs?" Jacob says, "No! I've been visiting with God! And He blessed me!"

Do you still want to be blessed by God? It may not be more money, a new car, increased comfort or rest. It may come in the form of a struggle, wrestling, or a problem but when you come through it, and you will, you will come through it better than when you went in!

3 comments:

David said...

People think the blessing is the end result of the long hard journey, but I believe the blessing is the whole package, the entire experience.

The victories along the way and then narrowly escaping defeat. The crying out in desperation and then falling to our knees in feeble agony. These are the pruning events that we beg for its end, only to look back on with amazing clarity to see what God has done for us and through us.

He IS a loving Father and if we dare trust Him He will deliver us out of the mire to a new place with depth and understanding we never thought possible.

Where people make the mistake is there must be a cross before a crown. (We just want the crown) This IS the model of Christianity. The cross always precedes the crown. The wilderness before the promised land, the wilderness before the kingdom for David etc. choose your story and you'll find it, the same dynamics throughout the Word.


The Father, who is in complete control of what we're going through, embodied in the Son who sweat blood in the garden of Gethsemane. The one who holds us to the flame only long enough for the imperfection to be transformed. The one who holds back the enemy just enough to turn us around and bring us back to Himself. When we let Him have His way in our lives we see His magnificent beauty and character.

How could anyone ever want anything but to know God and His Loving miraculous ways? Jesus Christ is truly The Redeemer.

rob said...

Thank you Ray. I am reminded of the blessings Paul speaks of in 2 Cor. 11. Received 39 stripes 5 different times, 3 more beatings with rods, stoned and left for dead once, three times shipwrecked, different perils, in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

I wonder why so many avoid this part of the story when they speak of God's blessing

Unknown said...

Here is an excerpt from Streams in the Desert daily devotional. It fits so well.

“George Matheson, the well-known blind preacher of Scotland, who recently went to be with the Lord, said: "My God, I have never thanked Thee for my thorn. I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but not once for my thorn. I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensation for my cross; but I have never thought of my cross as itself a present glory.”